Thursday 1 September 2022

Study in Gouache #1



#371 - Gouache - approx 3.5x 3.5inches (9x 9cm) - Yupo Paper. Just for fun I wanted to try another medium….so I chose gouache. I decided to do a series of small, quick impressionistic portraits. I wanted to learn how to mix the paints and basically explore its qualities. I tried a few different surfaces, mixed media paper, watercolour paper but found my favourite was Yupo paper. It’s a synthetic paper that has a very smooth, shiny surface. With a little water I could even wipe back to the white surface if I needed too. This medium won’t replace my Oils but was fun to try. Above is the first of about 30-40 that I've done over the last couple of weeks. Pluses: drys quick, cleans up in water, great for travel. Negatives: darks dry lighter and lights dry darker, paint on palette drys fast so needed to spay often with water. 


No comments: